autoconf and gcc 3.0.1

hi there, I just tried to configure and test-compile
an application with gcc 3.0.1 and run into the following
problem:

one of the autoconf macros inserts a declaration like

extern "C" void exit(int);

before user supplied code to test-compile a little
file to check for the availability of a given feature.

The code that I use starts with these three headers:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <string.h>

Compiling the above four lines with gcc 3.0.1 yields the
error:

bash$ g++ -c ~/foo.cc
In file included from /home/stefan/foo.cc:4:
/usr/include/stdlib.h:520: declaration of `void exit(int) throw ()' throws
    different exceptions
/home/stefan/foo.cc:1: than previous declaration `void exit(int)'
bash$

so I'm trying to understand which of the participating tools
cause the trouble.

Thanks for the help,
		Stefan

PS: I use autoconf version 2.13, and I do use the
     AC_LANG_CPLUSPLUS macro just before running AC_TRY_RUN...