volatile qualifier

I notice that in ISO C++, volatile is treated like const,

so my question is:
If i declare an inline member function volatile, does this mean that that
function will always be generated as caution about optimisation, or will it only
be generated as cautious about optimisation if the object is volatile?

I know this isn't strictly speaking a question about gcc, but the standard seems
a  bit wishy washy on the subjects, so I'm asking specifically how gcc has
interpreted the use.

Thanks to anyone who can clear this question up for me,

Rob Taylor              robt@flyingpig.com
Flying Pig Systems      http://www.flyingpig.com
                        Tel: +44 20 8280 9230