Re: Success after struggles building gcc-3.0 (c compiler only) for sp arcv9-sun-solaris2.7

On Aug  9, 2001, Åke Nordin A (QRA) <Ake.A.Nordin@era.ericsson.se> wrote:

>  1) libiberty is built with the old system compiler, in our case
>     a 32-bit gcc-2.8.1. This makes the linking of libiberty fail,
>     since the objects were built by the old compiler and thus are
>     32-bit.

Yep.  In a sense, you're doing a cross build, in which case `make
bootstrap' shouldn't be used.  The best way to do this is `make all',
`make install', then use this installed compiler to bootstrap a
complete sparcv9 compiler.

However, note that GCC 3.0 does not fully support sparcv9/sparc64.
Hopefully, GCC 3.1 will.