RE: robustness vs. conservative GC

You're talking about a denial of service attack on say, a Java
implementation, by causing it to retain extra memory?  I don't think that's
fundamentally different from retaining lots of memory with real pointers.

Or are you talking about a GC-unsafe Java compiler used with a conservative
collector?  I'd argue that's fundamentally no different from another (very
rarely triggered) compiler bug.

Hans