Request for information

Hi

Could those in the know please help me out by answering a few questions I
have about the GCC sources available.

1. What are the differences between the CVS repository and released tar
files? I.e. What files are added/modified in order to create an official
release or snapshot? Also, are there any differences between release tar
files and snapshot tar files.

2. What CVS branches do snapshots come from? Main trunk/Release branch?
How can I find out where a specific snapshot came from? Perhaps there is a
log of what CVS command extracted the snapshot? Is the origin of snapshots
different before and after an official release?

3. If I do a build with objdir!=srcdir (as recommended), what files are
overwritten/created in the source tree regardless? I could just do a build
to find this out, but that doesn't tell me what files are only potentially
changed. Also, why is this and are there any plans to correct this (it
would be nice if the source tree could be read-only).

4. What autoconf/automake state are the files found in? I.e. If I do a CVS
checkout do I sometimes have to run autoconf, automake or something else
in order to get a buildable source tree? Or is this always upto date?

I need to answer these questions so that I can set up a local system for
patching, building and tracking the sources in a reliable and reproducible
way (please don't just suggest CVS), preferably without any nasty
surprises.

TIA

|  Andrew Stubbs,                   |  E-mail: Andrew.Stubbs@st.com    |
|  STMicroelectronics Ltd.,         |  or      stubbsa@bristol.st.com  |
|  1000 Aztec West,                 |                                  |
|  Almondsbury,                     |  Tel:    +44 (0)1454 462325      |
|  Bristol, BS32 4SQ, U.K.          |  Fax:    +44 (0)1454 617910      |