Re: Has ANYONE taken a good run at MacOSX

"Matthew P. Marino" wrote:

> I have tried and tried but I'm not getting anywhere. Based on my experience with
> Solaris, I see gcc as the basis for turning OSX into a true open source ready
> platform. [...]

So I'm not clear on how you missed that OS X already uses GCC.  For
instance,

  http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macosx/DeveloperTools/devtools.html

prominently mentions GCC and friends as the main system compiler.  You
can also get the sources to everything in Darwin (Apple's name for the
lower levels of OS X, which includes compiler, assembler, etc) at
opensource.apple.com.

Note that (and this should probably be documented somewhere in the GCC
pages) Apple's GCC is a heavily-modified 2.95.2, and that while the
current FSF sources include Darwin support, they do not have all the
functionality that is in Apple's GCC.

Stan Shebs
Core Tools, Apple Computer
shebs@apple.com