Re: expr.c: exapnd_expr() assumes TARGET bytes same as HOST bytes?

On Thu, 19 Jul 2001, Alan Lehotsky wrote:

> assumes that the HOST machine's bytes are the same size as the
> target's bytes.  Cross compiling for a machine with 32 bit bytes

I've pointed out before the problems in this area.  The first thing to do
is to define what values in the compiler are host strings, what are target
strings, how target strings are stored, what values are host lengths and
what values are target lengths.  Also, work out definitively whether we do
or do not support (a) target hardware bytes (BITS_PER_UNIT), (b) target
char (CHAR_TYPE_SIZE) and (c) target wchar_t wider than HOST_WIDE_INT, and
if we do not support them then make the compiler fail to build in those
cases.  E.g. <URL:http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2001-06/msg00557.html> and the
rest of that thread.

--
Joseph S. Myers