Re: Compiler for Red Hat Linux 8

On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 11:41:42PM +0100, Joseph S. Myers wrote:

> If the Red Hat 8 GCC version were based off a GNUpro version, but that
> version were checked in to the FSF repository on a branch, that might at
> least help people trying to respond helpfully to misdirected bug reports
> and questions work out what is in Red Hat's release - as well as avoiding
> wasting people's time on the "seek out GNUpro releases on the net" game
> <URL:http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2001-03/msg00660.html>.

Has anyone ever noticed most of the Linux vendors can use a *released*
Linux binutils? Has anyone looked at the binutils Red Hat uses? It
has far less patches than the gcc they are using. It is because I have
been making such frequent Linux binutils releases that there is no
need for any Linux vendors to roll their own versions of binutils. If
the current Linux binutils doesn't work, it won't last for more than
2 weeks after I am notified. Forget about the *official* FSF binutils.
I don't think it is usable for Red Hat without serious patches.
Admittedly, gcc is much more complex than binutils. But as long as
people don't make making a release a big deal, I don't see why more
frequent bug releases can't be made. They may not be as polished as
we'd like to be. But at least, there is a chance that Red Hat 8 may use
a *relaased* gcc.

H.J.