Re: Compiler for Red Hat Linux 8

On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 01:21:59PM -0700, Joe Buck wrote:
> HJ writes:
> > What may
> > happpen is noone can use the to-be-released gcc 3.0.1 to build the
> > whole Linux distribution before it is released. They may take a gcc
> > snapshot and go from there. When they finally find all the compiler
> > bugs, gcc 3.0.1 has been released. Then they will start all over
> > again. As the result, you still need to make gcc 3.0.2 if you want to
> > use it to build the whole Linux distribution.
>
> If so, then we'll make 3.0.2, and because of scheduling, some people may
> release GNU/Linux distros with 3.0.1+patches because 3.0.2 wasn't out
> yet.

The same thing can happen with 3.0.2 ... That means the current
unmodified *released* gcc may not be usable for Linux. That will
last at least from one bug fix release to the next one. If it happens
more than half a year within a year, people may say you shouldn't use
the unmodified *released* gcc on Linux.

H.J.