Re: pedantic: not fussing enough?

On Wed, 11 Jul 2001, Carlos Pita wrote:

>  I'm studying the ISO C++ standard in some detail. While Im reading it I
> use to compile some tests using g++ (3.0) with the -pedantic command line
> option and to compare the actual results (reports) against the ones required
> by the statements in the standard. I think it would be helpful to post any
> possible violations to the standard I could find (except, of course, for
> rules for which no diagnostic is required, which would not be a violation).

I think it would even be interesting to have the test case that did _not_
fail: they might be turned into an automatic test suite to assure that
future gcc development does not break any conformance that exists today.
There are such conformance test suites, but as far as I know they have
licenses that do not allow their inclusion into gcc, so having an
independent 'free' one that could be run as part of the usual regression
checking would certainly be beneficial.

So maybe you could modify all your tests (not only those that fail) into a
form that fits into the regression test suite of gcc?

Regards
  Wolfgang

Wolfgang Bangerth          email: wolfgang.bangerth@iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
                             www: http://gaia.iwr.uni-heidelberg.de/~wolf