Re: Patches

On Jul 11, 2001, "Bobby McNulty" <bmj2001@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Seems to me if you separate each patch like that, to determine which patch
> gets for which platform.

This would quickly become an unmaintainable mess of platform-dependent
#ifdefs all over.  We don't want to go down that route.  I think I
read a paper or two a few years ago about why platform-specific tests
had better be avoided.  Unfortunately, I don't recall what papers they
were.  Perhaps one of them was a paper about the autoconfiscation of
am-utils (amd), written by Erez Zadok?  Yep, see
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~ezk/research/amu/autoconfiscating_amd.html

Besides, there's the issue that we often want to make decisions based
on features of the target machine, to which macros implicitly defined
by the build-x-host compiler don't apply unless host = target.