Re: Beyond GCC 3.0: Summing Up

<<Sony has already contributed quite generously to GNU, in the form
of a number of sizeable contracts to Cygnus.  I'm pretty sure Eric
Christopher is not contributing his recent MIPS patches out of pure
generosity.  If FSF GCC were to drop MIPS as a target, then outfits
like Sony would likely just maintain their own GCC fork, as they've
done in the past.  Wouldn't you rather that they apply their resources
to helping with a single version of GCC, rather than a fork?  You
start by not saying to them "the processor you ship by the millions
each year still exists, but just barely."

Indeed! It was not me who claimed the MIPS was dead (quite the
contrary).

Still we do seem to have a problem if people say "there is no MIPS maintainer"