Re: GLIBCPP_CHECK_LINKER_FEATURES libstdc++/acinclude.m4

On Sun, Jul 08, 2001 at 02:24:08PM -0500, Gordon Sadler wrote:
> The above function appears to be 'turned off' on both head and 3.0
> branch. Using cvs annotate, it appears Ben Kosnik made a change that
> effectively turns this function off, there are some comments around
> libstdc++/acinclude.m4:252 that appears to say this won't work and in
> some cases causes a core on solaris.

Yep.  The garbage collection in GNU ld is too hungry:

    http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2001-03/msg00401.html

> In this AC_DEFUN there are two things that drew my attention:
> 1. The use of ac_cv_prog_gnu_ld which is not valid here. Instead
>    libtool.m4 defines/uses lt_cv_prog_gnu_ld.

Hmm.  I think I got that by looking at the config.cache file, but there
have been plenty of changes since.  So it might have changed, sure.

> 2. The test (:242) of $ac_cv_prog_gnu_ld = "notbroken". I can't find any
>    usage of assigning 'notbroken' to any variable anywhere.

There isn't.

> >From some of the comments, it looks like this is all intentional, but..
> The Changelog entries for 5 Dec 00, 11 Oct 00, and 17 Oct 00 do not
> sound like this is the intent. Phil Edwards Changelog from 11 Oct says
> comment out some code in a test, but Ben made a change the same day to
> the same parts.

Nope, it's intentional.  Rather than commenting it out, it's rigged so
that it always fails.

> If this AC_DEFUN really should be active I suggest
> s/ac_cv_prog_gnu_ld/lt_cv_prog_gnu_ld/ and whatever check was being
> performed for 'notbroken' is redone as currently that does not exist.

No, that's the whole point.  The test /can't/ pass.  We don't want it to.

There is a good reason why this isn't "formally" commented out, but I
don't recall offhand what it is.

Phil

--
Would I had phrases that are not known, utterances that are strange, in
new language that has not been used, free from repetition, not an utterance