Re: Machine attributes and language attributes

On Tue, 3 Jul 2001, Joern Rennecke wrote:

> If you are saying that the target code provides a table of finite size,
> that'd be OK with me, but you shouldn't code in any arbitrary
> restriction.  That would not only potentially impede future work, it
> would also be against the GNU coding standards:

Yes, a table of finite size initialized by the target, with a pointer to
it in the target structure, but without arbitrary limits; the common code
would then simply look through three tables (common attributes, language
ones, machine ones), each having either a size stored or an end marker.

At present, there are two arbitrary limits on the machine and language
independent attributes, which would die: no more than 25 of them allowed
(because of a table of size 50, which includes each in the __ and non-__
forms) (currently 22 in use) and no more than 95 characters in the non-__
form of the attribute name (because of a fixed length buffer for
formatting the __ form).

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk