Re: IBM 370 openedition port questions...

On Mon, Jul 02, 2001 at 07:07:42AM -0700, Pete wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm curious, has anyone compiled gcc3 under OS/390 USS
> (openedition)?

The existing port is quite old.  There is a new port which has been
contributed by IBM, but it has not yet been merged into the master
sources.

> Note: I've tried compiling 3 using ecgs and c89 (IBM) and both fail,
> in different ways of course. The farthest I've gotten is with c89,
> and it reports:
> ERROR CBC3205 ./safe-ctype.c:162 "Unsupported host character set"

This is because OS/390 uses EBCDIC, and no one has written an
appropriate table for that character set for safe-ctype.c.  It should
not be terribly hard to do this; it needs to match the EBCDIC<->ASCII
conversion tables in gcc/config/i370/i370.c.  I did not do one myself
because I could not test it.

Also, it is my understanding that there are several incompatible
variants of EBCDIC, and I do not know which one is currently used
under OS/390, or if it matches the ones I can find documentation of.

--
zw    A man who has never gone to school may steal from a freight car, but
      if he has a university education, he may steal the whole railroad.