Re: GCC vs GLIBC: why this stance, Drepper ?!?

On Sun, Jul 01, 2001 at 11:04:12AM -0300, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> On Jul  1, 2001, "H . J . Lu" <hjl@lucon.org> wrote:
>
> > Do you seriously believe
>
> > # ./configure
> > # make
> > # su
> > # make install
>
> > should override a system DSO which may be used by every single binary
> > on the system?
>
> I don't think it should.  In fact, I don't think it does right now.
> At least, I wouldn't expect to find any system DSO in /usr/local/lib,
> which is where I believe libgcc_s.so would be installed with the
> commands above.

If I told you putting libgcc_s.so in /usr/local/lib didn't work too
well or might override the one in /lib when there is libgcc_s.so in
/lib, would you believe me? It is the same thing as putting a shared
libc in /usr/local/lib and expect the machine to work reliably as a
complete system.

H.J.