Re: GCC vs GLIBC: why this stance, Drepper ?!?

On Sat, Jun 30, 2001 at 07:22:58PM +0200, Paolo Carlini wrote:
> > I believe we can work it out between gcc and glibc developers. But we
> > first have to acknowledge that libgcc_s.so may be a serious problem on
> > systems where gcc is used as a system compiler. So far, I haven't seen
> > any signs that gcc developers have realized it. At lease, if gcc
> > developers can't understand the full impact of libgcc_s.so, they should
> > take the glibc developers's word for it. Without the cooperation
> > between gcc and glibc developers, I don't think we can avoid a big
> > mess ahead. Based on this, I think Ulrich is right not to recommend
> > gcc 3.0 for the time being. But we have to find a solution for this
> > serious problem.
>
> It is the following message from Mark Mitchell:
>
>     http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2001-06/msg00767.html

It is a very encouraging start. But it has to become a mandate first.
We should first set a goal which is acceptable to both gcc and glibc
developers.

BTW, I don't believe Mark realized the full impact of libgcc_s.so
in gcc on glibc when he wrote that message. Let me put this way, gcc
3.0, as is, is VERY VERY BAD for glibc or any Linux distributions for
that matter.

H.J.