Re: Patch commit requirements

On Fri, 22 Jun 2001, Mark Mitchell wrote:

> > Could this policy allow reversion of patches that add undocumented
> > options, target macros, etc., as well?
>
> People should never approve such patches.  That's a little different
> from regressions: things might work fun on Solaris but fail on HPUX,
> say.

In practice they do approve such patches.  other/3386 lists target macros
added without documentation between 2.95 and 3.0.  I started checking who
committed the patches adding them (which may be either a reviewer or the
person who wrote the patch):

ASM_OUTPUT_DWARF_PCREL rth
ASM_SIMPLIFY_DWARF_ADDR jason
BUILD_VA_LIST_TYPE rth
CONVERT_HARD_REGISTER_TO_SSA_P mmitchel
CRT_END_INIT_DUMMY jakub
CRT_GET_RFIB_DATA rth

but it would be quicker for everyone responsible for such a target macro
just to add the documentation rather then for me to track down who added
each one (and then check for when the reviewer wasn't the person who'll
know what the macro is meant to do).

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk