Re: fixinc and compatibility

On 17 Jun 2001 11:59:25 -0700 Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> wrote:

> Daniel Elstner <daniel.elstner@gmx.net> writes:
>
> > Second: the fixinc mechanism drives me crazy. Although it's a nice idea
> > it's not compatible with today's xxx-config scripts.  There are to many
> > of them explicitly including "-I/usr/include" and it is just a nightmare
> > repairing all these scripts.
>
> > There are also a lot of configure scripts and Makefile's explicitly
> > including "-I/usr/include".
>
> Hm.  gcc has been like this for *years* (it's not new in 3.0 by any
> stretch), and I've compiled literally hundreds of software packages with
> gcc over the years and I don't think I've *ever* had this problem.

The include behaviour is not new, but the fixinc mechanism which
triggers the problem.

> Maybe once or twice at the most.

I repaired at least 10 scripts using sed, and edited some more complex
ones by hand. And I would have to do that after every new install.

> That's definitely a bug in those packages; if you report it to the
> maintainers, you should be able to get it fixed.

You're right - and I already submitted a patch for GTK--.
But it will take a long time until *every* package is fixed.

I consider writing a wrapper script around gcc, but I'm sure
other people will have the problem, too. It would be nice having
a solution in gcc itself.

--Daniel