Re: -A- for 3.0.

On Sun, Jun 10, 2001 at 10:34:20PM +0100, Neil Booth wrote:
> Zack,
>
> I've been meaning to do something about -A- for a while, but
> never got round to it.
>
> To me it's counterintuitive that -A- clears all macros as well as all
> assertions.  What do you think of -U- for all macros, and -A- for all
> assertions?

-D- would be more symmetric.

> If -A- is only a >= 2.96 thing anyway (I believe it is), then we won't
> be breaking anyone's makefiles or whatever from an official release.
> But if we let -A- slip through now, we won't be able to "fix" it in
> future whilst maintaining backwards compatibility.

-A- has been around with the present semantics since at least 2.7, I'm
afraid.  I doubt it is actually used by anyone, but I'd be leery of
making any sort of user-visible change this close to a release.

You may be thinking of -A-blah as a counterpart of #unassert, which is
relatively new.

zw