Re: gcc/INSTALL?

On Tue, 29 May 2001, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
> I think doc/install.texi supports generating multiple HTML files - and
> presumably multiple text files documenting installation, as were in
> install/ at top level in previous releases.

Yup, it does, and I'm trying to address this over the weekend, in that

 o the online docs at http://gcc.gnu.org/install gets updated from this;
 o the release tarballs' INSTALL directory is filled that way.

> [...] and there are various Texinfo style problems with
> doc/install.texi needing to be fixed (after which - once the Texinfo
> is clean and a good printed manual can be generated from
> doc/install.texi - I'll look at moving the existing contents of the
> old gcc/install.texi out of that file to the new installation manual
> and elsewhere).

Thanks for the offer. We've made good progress on the way, cleaning
doc/install.texi, but there's still some way to go.

And, for GCC 3.0, the primary focus is on HTML and ASCII documentation,
and I think we've nearly met this deliverable yet -- the install docs
of GCC 3.0 will be strictly better than those for GCC 2.95 AFAICS (thanks,
not the least, to several contributors like those in the To and Cc).

Gerald