Re: [I don't think it's off-topic at all] Linking speed for C++

On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 12:55:26AM -0400, Daniel Berlin wrote:
> "H . J . Lu" <hjl@lucon.org> writes:
>
> > On Tue, May 29, 2001 at 08:13:13PM -0400, Daniel Berlin wrote:
> > > You might want to takes a looksie at the BeOS config files for LD.
> > >
> > > On BeOS, everything is linked -Bsymbolic, by default.
> > >
> > > And it does C++ just fine, even across shared libraries.
> > >

> > I am not very sure if C++ works ok without any restrictions on BeOS.
> > That was my impression last time when I worked on a BeOS related
> > bfd problem.
>
> I'm pretty darn positive.
> I've written (with 2 others) a large, heavily multithreaded, graphical development
> environment, which has shared libraries it's linked to on it's own,
> plus tons of dynamically loaded plugins.

That doesn't mean much.

> It uses templates, RTTI, exceptions, etc, extensively, across shared
> library boundaries and whatnot.
>
> No problemo.
>
> Remember, the whole Be API is in C++ itself (Excluding the hacked
> glibc port and the kernel).

You can write an ABI in C++ in such a way that -Bsymbolic will work
just fine. BTW, as for those C++ programs which don't work, they
don't conform to the ABI :-).

Remember we only have to deal with the shared libgcc when we want
better support for C++. The static libgcc is fine with C.

H.J.