Re: gcc/INSTALL?

On Tue, 29 May 2001, Laurent Guerby wrote:

> >From the CVS HEAD gcc/README:
>
> > See the file gcc.texi (together with other files that it includes) for
> > installation and porting information.  The file INSTALL contains a
> > copy of the installation information, as plain ASCII.
>
> I'm unable find the INSTALL file in CVS, or a Makefile target to build
> it. Am I missing something?

INSTALL was a plain text version of the old installation manual
(gcc/install.texi); I missed this reference when removing INSTALL and
install1.texi.

> I would suggest to add a reference to the GCC web site in the README.

I'd suggest the other way round - making the README solely point to the
other manuals.  Actually, I'd suggest making gcc/README go away, and
making the toplevel README be GCC-specific - since this is a GCC
distribution, we shouldn't confuse the user by suggesting that it might be
a gdb distribution (say) instead, and shouldn't waste their time by making
the most obvious README just indirect to another one.

The toplevel INSTALL directory also needs to go away.

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk