Re: GCC 3.0 Status - Fortran.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Toon Moene" <moene@knmi.nl>
To: <tprince@computer.org>
Cc: <gcc@gcc.gnu.org>
Sent: Friday, May 18, 2001 2:27 AM
Subject: Re: GCC 3.0 Status - Fortran.

> Tim Prince wrote:
>
> > I wrote:
>
> > > Recently, I learn[ed] that Boeing installed an
> > > MSC cluster running NASTRAN for doing large scale Computational
> > > Fluid Dynamics calculations.
>
> > MSC does support the best known version of NASTRAN, but with Intel
> > Fortran on the relevant architectures, according to what I heard.
>
> Hmm, yes, but as far as I can see the Intel Linux compilers are only
in
> public field test (beta) at the moment.  See

http://developer.intel.com/software/products/compilers/linux/invitebeta.
htm

> Would MSC use a beta compiler for such a project ?

Will g77 or g90 ever be anything beyond beta? The Intel linux Fortran
compilers are little differentiated from the corresponding Windows
versions, for better or for worse. Those versions have been fully
released and priced for several months.

> [ They aren't very "open" about which compilers they use anyway -
>   but they do ship gcc/g77-2.95.2 with their version of Linux ]
>
> > They have worked also on linux clusters for CFD, which are likely
> > to be configured differently from those for NASTRAN, which is
> > primarily a stress analysis system.
>
> Oops, I probably got confused by their press release, which talked
about
> NASTRAN and CFD, but indeed, not in the same paragraph :-)
>
> > Linux clusters of up to 32 processor pairs running MPI for CFD are
> > fairly common and aren't even in the price class of many web
> > server installations.
>
> Well, the press release doesn't say anything about the number of CPU's
> in the cluster, so we can only guess ....
>
> See:

http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/f_headline.cgi?bw.051601/211362231&t
icker=MNS