Re: GCC 3.0 Status - Fortran.

Tim Prince wrote:

> I wrote:

> > Recently, I learn[ed] that Boeing installed an
> > MSC cluster running NASTRAN for doing large scale Computational
> > Fluid Dynamics calculations.

> MSC does support the best known version of NASTRAN, but with Intel
> Fortran on the relevant architectures, according to what I heard.

Hmm, yes, but as far as I can see the Intel Linux compilers are only in
public field test (beta) at the moment.  See

http://developer.intel.com/software/products/compilers/linux/invitebeta.htm

Would MSC use a beta compiler for such a project ?

[ They aren't very "open" about which compilers they use anyway -
  but they do ship gcc/g77-2.95.2 with their version of Linux ]

> They have worked also on linux clusters for CFD, which are likely
> to be configured differently from those for NASTRAN, which is
> primarily a stress analysis system.

Oops, I probably got confused by their press release, which talked about
NASTRAN and CFD, but indeed, not in the same paragraph :-)

> Linux clusters of up to 32 processor pairs running MPI for CFD are
> fairly common and aren't even in the price class of many web
> server installations.

Well, the press release doesn't say anything about the number of CPU's
in the cluster, so we can only guess ....

See:

http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/f_headline.cgi?bw.051601/211362231&ticker=MNS

--
Toon Moene, KNMI, PO Box 201, 3730 AE De Bilt, The Netherlands.
Tel. +31302206443, Fax +31302210407,  e-mail moene@knmi.nl