Re: 32->64 bit cross compilers

    Richard> Right, but we're talking about the *branch* here, not the
    Richard> mainline.  My point was that this never really worked in
    Richard> the past,

That statement isn't really true.

"Working" is not a binary predicate; it's real-valued.

Because some test-cases didn't work doesn't mean "this never really
worked".  In fact, for many users, it worked just fine, and people got
useful work done.  You comitted a patch that made cross-compilers
cease to work for those people, and that constitutes a regression for
those people.

Fortunately, Jim Wilson has suggested, privately, a solution that
seems likely to solve the problem without having to merge Alexandre's
stuff to the branch.  We all agree that is the right way to go,
eventually, but that it's riskier than we'd like at the moment.

Hopefully, Jim's approach will work out.

Thanks,