Re: __attribute__ ((deprecated))

On Tue, 24 Apr 2001, Stan Shebs wrote:

> > Sounds good, but how the heck do you get the Objective C parser to
> > accept __attribute__ for methods?
>
> By modifying it, presumably. :-)  The immediate request is for the
> Carbon API I believe, which is C-based, but yeah, if we make it
> available for Carbon, the Cocoa folks will probably get envious and
> want it for their framework too.  Thanks for the observation, I'll
> take a look at the ObjC parser and see what it would take.

You might want to look first at what's needed to get rid of the
shift/reduce conflicts in the ObjC parser, since anything touching
attributes has tended to be very fragile in terms of adding more conflicts
(and so in terms of being able to be reasonably sure that the change does
not cause incorrect parsing in some cases).  (Once I've checked in my C
parser patch, that is - which will be once I can get a working bootstrap
of unmodified mainline in a reasonable time (the current problem being the
libjava tests hanging that's just been noted).)

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk