Long long & templates (was: Re: Loki's tricky templates)

Hi Gaby,

nice to hear from you!

regarding that other library which we both care about, Boost, I have just discovered
that Peter Schmid had already discovered, independently from me, the present
limitation in the size of numbers which Gcc can presently mangle (PR2364, PR2195,
PR2196, and my PR2559).
Now I have a curiosity about which I'd like to ask your opinion (I don't know if this
is a classified topic): why the choice was made to limit for Gcc3.0 that size, at risk
of an *apparent* (I know that long long are not standard but nonetheless...)
regression from Gcc2.95.2 (i.e., those 3 Boost testsuite failures)???

Thanks,
Paolo.