Re: debugging optimized programs (Was: Re: Bootstrap failure of gcc-ss-20010409 in ia64)

Joern Rennecke <amylaar@cambridge.redhat.com> writes:

> > In the case of heavily intermingled code, the line number info may
> > look like (i've omitted is_stmt, basic_block, and other registers, for
> > simplicity):
> >
> > Line advance            Address advance
> > 0                       1
> > -1                      1
> > 2                       1
> > -1                      1
> > etc
>
> So that's the way gdb handles it right now.  Which can mean that
> optimized code is so tedious to debug for some applications and targets
> that you try to avoid it at all costs.  Not what I'd call 'not being able
> to tell the difference'.

Err, what are you talking about?
I mean this is what the debug info says, not what gdb *does* (or will
do).

--
"I put a new engine in my car, but forgot to take the old one
out.  Now my car goes 500 miles per hour.  The harmonica sounds