Re: Esthetics (or worse?) of Secure Pointers

On Tue, Apr 17, 2001 at 07:40:48PM -0700, John Gilmore wrote:
> > For a backup plan, I think it's sufficient to mandate no mixing of BP
> > and non-BP compilation units, distinguished by a special symbol,
> > enforced by ld.  Anyone violently disagree?
>
> Yes, I disagree.
>
> ELF and many other formats have a field in the file header for what
> architecture the object file contains.  Pick a new architecture
> specifier when compiling for an architecture with larger pointers.
> Just as big-endian and little-endian code compiled for the same chip
> gets different architecture types, big-pointer and little-pointer code
> for the same chip should be distinguished in this way.

Actually I would recomend using the data encoding field (byte #5), which
currently has 2 possible values (ELFDATA2LSB and ELFDATA2MSB for little endian
and big endian respectively), rather than try to duplicate N number of
different architectures.

--
Michael Meissner, Red Hat, Inc.  (GCC group)
Work:	  meissner@redhat.com		phone: +1 978-486-9304