RE: AutoGen + Guile for fixinc maintenance

> -----Original Question-----

>    Can we change the AutoGen version required to rebuild fixincludes
>    from 4.x to 5.x?  Doing so will also require that the Guile library
>    be installed on a GCC-maintainer's system (in addition to AutoGen 5.x).
>    Leastwise, any maintainer that touches the fix definitions.

RMS reply:
> That is a vital distinction.  If every GCC maintainer had to have
> Guile running, that might cause a practical hassle.  Some people must
> maintain GCC for Windows, and they might only use Windows.
>
> But if people only need Autogen and Guile if they change the
> fixincludes script, and thus people can't maintain the fixincludes
> script on Windows, maybe that is ok.
>
> Is fixincludes used on Windows?

No.  Well, not the generated program, anyway.  The definitive
answer comes from mkfixinc.sh.  In simple English, WinNT uses
its own script (for now?) and DOS uses nothing.

   case $machine in
   alpha*-*-winnt* | \
   i?86-*-winnt3*)
        fixincludes=fixinc.winnt
        ;;
   i?86-moss-msdos* | i?86-*-moss* | \
   ... )
        fixincludes=
        ;;
   esac

   #  IF there is no include fixing,
   #  THEN create a no-op fixer and exit
   #
   if test -z "$fixincludes"
   then
       (echo "#! /bin/sh" ; echo "exit 0" ) > ${target}
       chmod 755 ${target}
       exit 0
   fi