Re: Libgcc symbols

On Mon, Apr 16, 2001 at 09:44:42AM -0700, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> > Right now, it is.  Which is a pity, because it's another layer of buffering
> > and function calls.  Efficiency drops considerably on some platforms when
> > iostreams has to funnel everything through stdio.
>
> Then it's not thin enough to be a layer of paint, is it?

Thickness of coats of paint varies depending on the speaker.

> and even when it can't be that simple, iostreams do no buffering at
> all themselves; they leave all that to stdio.

Actually, the underlying streambuf class does all the buffering.  The streams
themselves don't, true, but there is another component which (optionally,
normally) does.

Users doing lots of I/O via standard {input,output,error} all through the
C++ facilities are encouraged to use sync_with_stdio() to turn off the
tricky sych pieces and improve performance.  And I think Benjamin just
got that working a couple weeks ago.  (Yay.)

Phil