Re: cvs (was: Bootstrap failure of gcc-ss-20010409 in ia64)

> 	update -d -P

I'm aware of -d, but it isn't appropriate for all cases.

If you used a module to check out a subset of a repository, then using update
-d will give you files that were not part of the module that you checked out.
This isn't really a problem with the FSF gcc repository, since the gcc module
is the entire repository.  It is a problem for other repositories that I use,
for instance the combined gdb/binutils repository on sources.redhat.com.  If
I check out the binutils module, and then update it, I don't want update to
check out gdb files.  Thus I can't use -d.

Also, -d gives you new directories, but it doesn't give you new files.
This matters if you checked out a module that includes specific filenames
in addition to directory names.  If someone later modifies the module to
include additional filenames, then update -d will not give you those additional
filenames.  This isn't a problem for the FSF gcc repository, since we aren't
using modules that way, but it is a problem for other repositories that I use.

Neither problem exists if you use co instead of update.  Thus it is always
better to use co instead of update -d.  However, this does require you to
remember to do a co occasionally.  For people that don't use as many CVS
features I do, which is probably most people, update -d will work fine.

Jim