GCC vs CC

>>>>> "Timothy" == Timothy Ko <Timothy_Ko@nag.national.com.au> writes:

Timothy> I'm about to install MQSeries in a Unix system which have
Timothy> both GCC (v2.95.2 from GNU) and CC (v3.1 from UDK).

Timothy> As the source code would need to modify accordingly, I have
Timothy> to go for one or the other.

Timothy> Just wonder is there everyone knows about whether GCC/G++
Timothy> support the MQSeries library?  Can anyone comment the pros
Timothy> and cons from their experience between the two?

I work in MQ engineering at MSDW and am co-conspirator for the
MQSeries perl module to be found at CPAN.  (Shameless plug: using the
perl API for MQSeries system administration will make your life a lot
easier.  Feel free to contact me off-list for more info.)

As far as I know, gcc works just fine with the MQSeries C libraries.
On Linux, IBM use gcc themselves; on Solaris, we used to use gcc with
it (though we use SunPro C now).  When using the C API, I am not aware
of any changes that you'd need to make to switch between compilers.

As for the C++ API, that's a different story, since the name mangling
is different.  You may be forced to use the vendor C++ compiler on
non-Linux platforms.  As we've developed our own high-level C++ API,
I wouldn't know.

Regards,
  Hildo Biersma