Re: Status of SSE support in current gcc mainline

I believe the altivec patches to gcc were done as an example
implementation of the programming model with know problems.  It was not
meant to be FSF acceptable code.  I believe Samuel's idea to model altivec
support after the SSE implementation is not a bad idea.

> They specify the sizeof of their vector types to always be 16, and the
> sizeof *pointers* to the vector types to be 16 as well.
> Did I mention that the vector types are, in reality, a few different
> sizes, and the pointers certainly aren't 16 bytes?
> I guess 16 just seemed like a nice number.

Vectors are always 16 bytes on altivec.  The doc states that 'p' is a
pointer to a vector.  I dont understand what is wrong with
sizeof(*p) being 16.  Is it not true that de-referencing a pointer to a
double would give a size of 8.

double *d;
printf ("%d\n",sizeof (*d)); /* 8 ? */

I know Motorola is looking into changes to the programming model.  Any
pointers to other existing programming models could be useful to that
effort.

- kumar