Re: libstdc++ configure time

On Mar 19, 2001, Richard Henderson <rth@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 19, 2001 at 12:19:42AM -0800, Zack Weinberg wrote:

>> Are we likely to run into line length limits if we do more with echo?

> Possibly.  I'm gonna try some stuff with AIX and Solaris
> and see what breaks with just large echos.

The things that are harder to get right with echo is that (i) you have
to worry about shell meta-characters and (ii) you have to worry about
echo meta-characters.  Not all echos behave the same.  Some accept
arguments such as -n and -c before the text to echo, some handle
escape sequences, etc.  In general, you can't trust echo to preserve
the contents you want to get to the output.  Which is quite
unexpected for `echo', I must say :-)