Re: libstdc++ configure time

On Sun, Mar 18, 2001 at 12:41:40PM -0800, Richard Henderson wrote:
> Data: It is some form of extreme /bin/sh losage.

Not surprising; /bin/sh under Solaris is extremely losing.

    http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-bugs/2000-11/msg00306.html

> So I started poking around to see what in the world /bin/sh is doing
> all that time.  The answer appears to be linking and unlinking
> bill-yuns and bill-yuns of tiny little files in /tmp:

I'm going to guess that you're not using the "tmpfs" filesystem for /tmp?
These go by very quickly when linking/unlinking is in fact all happening
in RAM and swap, never touching the drives.  I'd bet that's why very few
people have noticed this slowdown; Solaris ships with that on by default.
Or just nobody's felt like complaining, which is bad.

This is not the first time I've wished to add some of that shell code
at the start of our scripts to try and find a better sh, and if found,
re-exec the script using that shell.

Phil