libstdc++ configure time

I know this has been discussed off and on before, but has anyone figured
out why libstdc++ configures so amazingly slowly on non-linux?

I'm thinking here in particular of AIX and Solaris, where each little
testlet appears to take about 30 seconds and 120 seconds (yes, 2 minutes)
respectively.  At this rate it's gonna take significantly longer to
configure this library than to bootstrap the compiler.

We can't possibly ship with this unresolved.

r~

PS: Curiouser, and curiouser.  The Solaris box in question has a load
average of 0.18.  I suspect someone put a couple of sleep's into the
configury and forgot to take them out.  ;-P