GPL and forks (was: Which version of gdb supports gcc 3.0 ABI?)

On Fri, Mar 16, 2001 at 05:54:20AM -0500, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> A fork is an ultimate acknowledgment of a failure of people to
> cooperate with each other.
> ......                       If not, I suggest that we stop even
> mentioning a fork, lest someone thinks we are being serious.

The *possibility* of a fork is threating isn't it.  I think that
that possibility is a big flaw in the GPL, and it is why I will
never start a project under the GPL (again).  Sooner or later
someone feels they have to start a fork - causing a lot of frustration
indeed.  There should be a clause in the GPL in the line of
"It is not allowed to reuse large portions of The Source for a
release under the same name unless all current maintainers (if any)
agree, nor is it allowed to do this under a different name for a
product that is competing with the original".  But I guess 'current
maintainers' and 'competing' is too vague.

But ok - lets not start to use this list for discussions about
licences - heh.

--
Carlo Wood <carlo@alinoe.com>