Re: Fortran support for files greater than 2GB on Linux PC

On Thu, Mar 08, 2001 at 03:05:56PM +0100, Jiri Pittner wrote:
> The recently developed  support for files >2GB on Linux machines
> has motivated me to update the libI77 part of the g77 runtime library
> to use the open64 etc. calls to support large file I/O in Forrtan, too.
> I assume that there might be broader interest in such an extension,
> especially in the natural science community, where Fortran is
> (unfortunatelly) still the leading language.
>
> Therefore I send as an attachment modified version of the lib2c/libI77
> library (for 2.95.2 version of gcc). I have tested it on Linux 2.3.99-pre9,
> running a pretty large quantum chemical program with large files
> successfully.
>
> If there is an interest from your side, I can provide also patch format
> of the changes, check #ifdefs to be portable for all architectures etc.

Well, yes, large file support is something that has been requested
before.  But it will need to be done portably in order to be acceptable
for inclusion.

Patch format is preferred, not the least of reasons that they are much
smaller.  It will also have to be done against development sources, and
not 2.95.  See http://gcc.gnu.org/cvs.html for instructions.  Future work
should be sent to gcc-patches@gcc.gnu.org and not to me personally.

r~