Re: A completely different approach to EH runtime

"David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.org> writes:

> Earlier this month FreeBSD wanted to change the traditional BSD stdio
> __sF[] array (std{in,out,err} are defined in terms of this), so something
> that was more modern and supported better mutex control (for
> libpthreads).
>
> Since *everything* uses libc, and the use of stdio is everywhere (and
> unfortuneatly the interface so exposed), we hit the same problem.

On Linux, we dealt with this by inventing symbol versioning.

> A guarantee and policy could be crafted in total honestly and good faith
> today, but I do wonder what will happen in the future when an
> in-compatible might be required in libgcc.so.

Probably the best that can be said about this is that should this
happen, there will be many people working on how to solve the
compatibility problem.  That's the only real guarantee you can have:
that others will share your pain.

--
- Geoffrey Keating <geoffk@geoffk.org>