RE: Grief with Dejagnu; Testing gcc 2.95.3.test4 on SCO OS5.0.4

>>   Then I edited the diff to move the failing hunk from the
>end of the patch
>> file to the beginning and it worked fine.  But I would find
>it hard to
>> believe it was reflecting a bug in a utility as simple as patch.
>
>Well, a gdb session could tell.

  Possibly, but only possibly.  One of the defining characteristics of
this sig11 thing is that it seems to stop happening the moment you try and
look at it under gdb.  I didn't try this on patch, but it's what's
happened to me the few times I've tried to track it down in cc1 / cc1plus.
Perhaps it only happens when the compiler is invoked from the gcc driver.
Perhaps there's some kind of trashing of the environment vectors or
something that's shared between forked processes.  Perhaps there's some
uninitialized variable somewhere.  Perhaps I could spend years of my
life trying to track it down and getting nowhere :-O

        DaveK
--
"Never give succor to the mentally ill; it is a bottomless pit."
  -- William S. Burroughs

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com