Re: GCC Needs a backend cleanup and complete rewrite

In article <20010222145741.E25209@disaster.jaj.com> you write:
>I would love to see this.  Maybe not in C++, but along the same lines.
>One of the many difficulties in changing the implementation language is that
>FSF requires GCC to be buildable on just about any machine that ever worked,
>even if it only has a K&R compiler from the previous century.  (Okay, that
>was a lame shot, sorry.)  We cannot assume the existence of a bootstrapping
>C++/whatever compiler the same way as we can assume a C compiler.

Note the existence of this wonderful little tool that is called a
cross-compiler.

In fact, if gcc was no longer written in C and required a cross-compiler
for the initial bootstrap, this might also help cleaning up some rather
arcane issues with cross-compiling...

A joke ? not completely, think about it...