Re: java bytecode considered bad

On Wed, 21 Feb 2001, Michael Matz wrote:
> I think the fear of RMS is more, that people could write a new _backend_
> for their hardware, do not publish it, but still use all the nice
> frontends of GCC.  With an intermediate language they could do this
> legally, cause they don't have to link to GCC, but only write a reader for
> that IL.

I believe it would be trivial, for someone (with commercial interests)
who is able to write a backend, to write a simple dumper that saves the
current state of the internal structures/trees to a file or prints it to
a pipe for consumption of a proprietary backend.

Not more than a week of work, probably even much less.

I don't see why we should want to reduce the functionality for users of
GCC to avoid that; unless I miss something, that is.

Gerald