Re: Shared library annoyance with gcc-3_0-branch

On Feb 19, 2001, Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com> wrote:

> Is there any real reason why libgcc can't just be statically linked?

People have reported having multiple copies of libgcc in multiple
shared libraries prevent exception handling from working correctly
across shared libraries.

My limited knowledge of the way dynamic loaders and shared libraries
work, particularly ELF shared libraries, suggests that it could be
made to work correctly, even having only static copies of libgcc.  But
then, as I wrote, my knowledge on this topic is relatively limited.