Re: Shared library annoyance with gcc-3_0-branch

On 19 Feb 2001, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> A shared libgcc looks necessary to resolve problems of it's being
> linked in multiple times by a program.  But for a shared libgcc to
> work reliably it must be in /lib.   So we need gcc's make install to
> put it there with an appropriate version number.

No.  Here, for example, we install GCC from an account different than
root.

And even if we would install as root, `make install` should *not* do
anything about /lib which is on a local disk, unlike the software which
is installed on a file server for use by the whole network.

Not all the world is GNU/Linux. And not all the world is a stand-alone
machine.

Gerald