Re: Shared library annoyance with gcc-3_0-branch

On Sun, Feb 18, 2001 at 06:29:36PM -0800, Mark Mitchell wrote:

>     H> If I fold libgcc in gcc 3.0 into glibc tody and change the gcc
>     H> source to use it instead its own, can I assume it will work
>
> I would not support including such a change in the GCC source tree,
> but you could certainly make it in your own version of GCC.

I never asked it. I just want to make sure Linux vendors have a way
to deal with this issue. On the other hand, it will be interesting to
see how each Linux vendor come up with their own solutions. What a
mess!

>     H> with all future versions of gcc from gcc 3.0? That is all the
>     H> "well-defined, stable ABI" about. Since you mentioned a
>     H> different interface for EH, I can change the gcc source to
>     H> enable the new EH only if its support is available from glibc.
>
> There is no guarantee that new functionality will not be added to
> libgcc.  If that happens, you will have to make a new libc that has
> that functionality too.

Adding new functionality is ok. But changing/removing existing
functionality will be a big mess. I know it happened at least
once in the last year. With a "libgccabi.h" used by gcc to compile
libgcc itself, it may catch it when it happens again.

--
H.J. Lu (hjl@valinux.com)