Re: Shared library annoyance with gcc-3_0-branch

On Sun, Feb 18, 2001 at 12:02:20PM -0500, dewar@gnat.com wrote:
> <<1. Make both stable and unstable releases.
> 2. Tell people to use the stable release and try unstable one if
> everthing else fails.
> 3. Fix the unstable release as quickly as we can.
> 4. Make the unstable release as often as we can.
> >>

> I would call the unstable ones something other than a release. Terminology
> is not too critical, but I think the term "unstable release" is an
> unfortunate one. In the GNAT world, we talk about "wavefront versions"
> which mean snapshot versions that have successfully passed all our
> regression tests. We never refer to these as releases though.

I don't care too much about the terminology. But the bug reports for
"unstable release" should be treated like a real release by developers.
They should be fixed as soon as possible. Making frequent "unstable
release" means you are fixing something very close to the main trunk,
not on some branches which may be very different from the main trunk.
It is quite easy to make sure the bug is also fixed on the main trunk.
That scheme has been working quite well for me.

--
H.J. Lu (hjl@valinux.com)