Re: GCC 3.0 Bugs: Call for Volunteers

Mark Mitchell wrote:

> As of now, there are 955 open bugs in the GNATS database.  Before GCC
> 3.0, we need to go through these bugs, and examine each to determine
> whether or not it needs to be fixed before GCC 3.0.
>
> As discussed earlier, the way we will do this is to mark bugs that
> need to be fixed as having "high" priority.  For now, a bug should
> have "high" priority if (and only if) it represents a regression
> relative to GCC 2.95.[23].
>
> Therefore, we should apply the following algorith to each open bug:
>
>   - Check if it is really a bug.  (Did the bug-reporter misunderstand
>     the language standard, for example?)
>
>     If not, close it.
>
>   - Check if it is already fixed.
Mark Mitchell wrote:

[referring to checking the bugs which are open against gcc in the run-up
to the 3.0 release]

>   - If it is not fixed, check to see whether or not it occurs with
>     GCC 2.95.2.
>
>     If so, and the priority of the bug is presently "high" reset it to
>     "medium".  Otherwise, do nothing.

Really "do nothing" -- not even mark up the Description field to
acknowledge that the bug has been reproduced with with 3.0 branch
code?  If seems to me that if we don't note that the bug has been
reproduced then we run the risk of doing the same work twice.

-- James Dennett <jdennett@acm.org>