Re: VB

Scott A Crosby <crosby@qwes.math.cmu.edu> writes:

> > Microsoft has patented a method to quote alomost arbitrary character
> > sequences so that they can be used as an identifier (IIRC the '[]'
> > syntax in VB).  Any VB implementation will probably have to infringe
> > several OLE patents as well.
>
> I'm curious about this quoting semantics?

AFAIK, you enclose them by square brackets, for example
'Object.[function](arg$)', where 'function' is the quoted keyword.

I'm no longer sure if there's really a Microsoft patent on that.  I
seem to remember a discussion in comp.lang.python which took place at
least four years ago, but can't find the patent. :-/